PA NSW held their first zoom meeting for zone delegates and observers on Saturday 16 May. The meeting was a great success, allowing all zones to contribute to the discussion regarding the possible recommencement of polocrosse in 2020. Each Zone gave a brief outline:-
Northern New England: All keen to start up, as late as Oct/Nov/Dec if required, even if only 1 day coaching and practice. Realise still up in the air, but suggestion to start small, local, and support Club and inter Zone options. Sought clarification around membership refunds/credits for those already joined up.
North West Plains: Concerned if the season pushed into end Sept / early Oct as they’d be busy harvesting. Could look at something Aug / early Sept. If much later it’s getting too hot in this area. Multi horse and chukka days could be an option. Cost of first aid provision would be major stumbling block.
Hunter Valley: Support coaching and green horse days, could be allocated into teams based on points, not so much traditional carnivals. Support clubs, with not too much travel. Seek clarification regarding liability if events do proceed and there’s an outbreak linked back to polocrosse activities. Some very keen to get practices started and understand situation with respect to membership fees / insurance. Also sought clarification re refunds/credits for players fees.
Western Districts: In the winter months not much happens, most clubs are looking for guidelines as to what they can and can’t do. Some would run carnivals if they could. Too early to know.
Central West: Some clubs and players keen to play. One day carnivals unlikely to be favoured due to travel distance. Worried players could go through cost of preparing horses and it all get called off again. Coming out of a COVID “hot spot” would they be welcome in other zones ?
Southern Highlands: Normally season is finished in mid June. Not really practical for them to consider restart at this time of year.
South West Slopes: Want to use the opportunity to coach and run modified competitions, multi horse / chukka days, fun days with no prizes etc. Would like to run Junior Classic or similar during October school holidays.
South West Riverina: Very similar to other zones, at this stage a bit early to say but interested in starting practice days, etc. Cost of first aid a factor.
GENERAL DISCUSSION / OUTCOMES:
PA NSW will review first aid policy and requirements for first aid provision.
PANSW will hold discussion with PAA re cost of resuming insurance cover.
PANSW will commence a review of player fees for the remainder of 2020 season. We understand players are asking about potential refunds/credits, however, until we know how the balance of the 2020 season is going play out, it is too early to consider. PANSW will reconsider towards the end of the year.
Zones to gather more detailed feedback from clubs in regard to interest in holding events, proposed dates, proposed formats.
Next State Zoom meeting to be held 4pm Sat 30 May for further updates and discussion.
The NSW Office of Sport released an update yesterday with regard to resumption of sport and training.
A link to the announcement is included below.
Please be aware that it applies ONLY to private groups, NOT club events, and that our insurance cover is still suspended for polocrosse.
Points to note from this announcement:
- NSW State Sporting Organisations can start training immediately as long as they comply with the current Public Health Orders, including training in maximum groups of 10 people and following the recommended physical distancing measures of 1.5 metres.
- It is up to the sporting organisation to adapt or modify their sport, to be in line with the Public Health Orders.